1. There are Nine Supreme Court Justices
2. 4 are considered “Conservative”
3. 4 are considered “Liberal”
4. Justice Kennedy is in the middle and he is retiring.
5. That leaves the Court at 4-4
6. President Trump will appoint a Conservative to replace Kennedy. Then the Court will be 5-4
7. Justice Ginsburg is 85, and is known as a champion of the liberal cause.
8. President Trump has two more years left.
9. In 2020, If a Republican is elected, it will most likely be Trump.
10. Justice Breyer is near 80 years old. He is also considered to be a liberal Justice.
11. In 2020, Justices’ Ginsberg and Breyer will be 87 and 82, respectively. If a Republican wins in 2020, then Ginsburg and Souter will be 91 and 86 before the next election.
12. The odds are that Justice Ginsburg will leave before the 2024 election. The odds are that Justice Breyer will leave before the 2024 election.
13. If the first happens, and the Democrats don’t win the Presidency or the Senate, the Court will be at 6-3, Conservative/Liberal.
14. If the second happens and the Democrats don’t win the Presidency or the Senate, the Court will be 7-2 Conservative/Liberal.
15. The results of 5-4 could be unfortunate. The results of 6-3 could be devastating. The results of 7-2…The Spanish Inquisition.
Checks and balances is what keeps us, well, Balanced.
I am a Conservative and this terrifies me. This has the potential to be a game-ender and it’s time to get off your ass.